Academic Advising

A&S Advising Structure

The College of Arts and Science has a combination of professional, faculty, and peer advisers depending on a student’s major. Departmental advisers will be a student’s main source of advising once they declare a major in A&S. The Advising Support Center advisers are available to assist students with administrative functions, filing graduation plans, graduation checks, and a variety of walk-in advising topics. The Academic Exploration & Advising Services Office advises students who are undecided, pre-communication, pre-journalism, and those students in transition from one major to another.

When To See an Adviser

Find Your Adviser

All MU undergraduate students are assigned to an academic adviser. You should be able to check your assigned adviser from your myZou student center.

Advising Support Center Walk-in Advising

The Arts and Science Advising Support Center in 107 Lowry Hall hosts weekly walk-in hours for undergraduate A&S students.  Advisers staffing these rotating walk-in shifts are available for a variety of student needs, primarily to provide a dean’s stamp on particular forms.  Many of these forms can be found on the Office of the Registrar’s website. Examples of some of the forms needing a dean’s stamp are: Course/Term Withdrawal, Late Changes to Registration, Study-abroad Course Proposals, Transfer of Division forms, Registration Eligibility Contract, etc.

From January 21st  to May 14th:
Monday morning - 10 am to 12:30 pm;
Every weekday afternoon - 1:30 pm to 4 pm

Please note that in order to serve our students as efficiently as possible, these advisers are not available for general advising, registration planning, graduation plans, or graduation checks during their walk-in shift.  If you need help with any of these areas, please make an appointment with your advisor.

Degree Program, Minor, and Certificate Requirements

By the time a student has completed 60 credit hours, the College of Arts and Science requires that the student officially file a graduation plan in his or her major. To file a graduation plan, a student must have completed English 1000 Exposition and Argumentation with a C- or better, Math 1100 College Algebra with a C- or better. Some A&S departments will have other GPA or course requirements in addition to the ones listed above.

Degree Programs—An Overview of Majors, Minors, and Certificates

Dates & Deadlines

Note: The date for adding Problems and Readings in the College of Arts and Science is the same as the last day to drop without a grade.

Late add
At the beginning of a semester, students often have difficulty adding classes within the one-week deadline. Requests to add a class a day or two after a deadline will require dean's approval (107 Lowry Hall) if there is verification from the professor that 1) the student HAS BEEN attending the class AND 2) the student HAS PERMISSION to add the class late.

Problems, readings, ensembles, performance in plays
The dean's office regularly allows students to add non-regular classes until the beginning of the fifth week of classes.

Re-register after cancellation for non-payment of fees
The cashier's office cancels the class schedules of students who fail to pay tuition. Such cancellations occur throughout a semester. After these students receive verification that they have been attending all their scheduled classes, they should come to 107 Lowry Hall to re-register after fees are paid.

Dean's List

To be on the Dean's List in Arts and Science, a student needs a 3.0 cumulative GPA and a 3.0 most-recent-term GPA, and must have completed at least 12 graded hours in the most recent term.

View Current and Past Dean's Lists

Academic Standing (Probation & Dismissal)

Arts and Science probation and dismissal information is located in the MU Catalog.

Frequently Asked Questions about probation and dismissal in Arts and Science.