Welcome to Mizzou’s College of Arts and Science
Welcome to Mizzou’s College of Arts and Science!
We're excited to help you on your journey from new student to graduation day.
As a student in A&S, your education is founded on key principles:
- Learn how to think, not what to think
- Use the scientific method and the power of creativity
- Turn your ideas born of rigorous thinking into meaningful action that enhances your life, your community, and the world.
From philosophy to physics, music to math, political science to psychology, the true strength of your A&S degree is studying a wide variety of topics and learning different ways to apply your knowledge. Your classroom learning is just the beginning. You'll also have a wide variety of hands-on learning opportinites in the lab, the field, the community, and around the world. Let's get started!
Your first To-Do List
Do the following before your first advising appointment:
- First, check your advising appointment time and location in Zoom – this was sent to your Mizzou e-mail account.
- Make sure you download Zoom. We strongly encourage you to use a laptop or computer for best use during your advising appointment.
- Complete the new student pre-orientation questionnaire. Log on, and click on the three lines at the top left of your screen and go to “intake” to get started. This brief questionnaire only takes a few minutes and helps your academic advisor learn more about you.
Prepare to meet with your advisor
- Check your partial, pre-registered schedule in myZou. This schedule is based on your anticipated transfer or AP/IB credit as well as the course preferences you filled out when you signed up for summer welcome.
- Most students will take a combination of general education courses, a course in their major, and math or English. Transfer students will have a different schedule composition, based on the transfer credit and major.
- Review the common general education courses for first-year students. Please keep in mind this is not a complete list, and we encourage you to explore! Have some classes in mind that you’d like to take. If you don’t know about any of the subject areas, don’t be afraid to ask!
- Review the requirements for your major. If you are still deciding or considering more than one major, that is totally fine! We’ll help you navigate making decisions that will allow you to explore and make progress towards general education requirements.
- If you are a transfer student or a freshman with transfer credit you can review your transfer equivalency report in myZou. Your official transcripts must be sent to Mizzou before you will be able to see this report.
- Prepare questions for your advisor! In your meeting, we’ll review your pre-registered courses, discuss any changes or additions, and complete your schedule.
Do these after your first appointment:
- Make sure all final transcripts and test scores are sent to Mizzou. We may not have them for your advising appointment, but you will need to send them before you start in the Fall!
- Download the Mizzou One app, and start with the new student task center to stay on top of required trainings for new students, important resources, and dates and deadlines.
- Check out our guide for new students to help prepare for a successful start to the Fall semester!