Course or Term Withdrawal for Arts and Science Students

Important: Effective for the Spring 2020 semester, the University has a policy for students to change the grading option for their courses to S/U. Make sure you read the information about this policy, as well as the information below before you make the decision to withdraw from a course or the term. You are strongly encouraged to talk to your academic advisor and financial aid advisor if you have any questions about these policies.

  1. Your instructor may assign a W or F when you withdraw from a class. A W does not affect your GPA; an F does. You should contact your instructor to verify which grade they will assign. An e-mail from your professor is fine. Make sure you understand how your withdrawal will impact your term GPA. Your professor does not sign your withdrawal form.
  2. Consider how withdrawing may impact your financial aid and time to completing your degree.
  3. If you could complete the course with the required minimum grade, consider staying in it! Talk to your instructor and academic advisor about the best option for you. The Learning Center has some great resources online to help you prepare for finals.
  4. If you decide to withdraw from one or more courses (but not all courses), fill out the withdrawal form. If you decide to withdraw from the term, fill out the term withdrawal form.
  5. Complete the fillable section of the form and e-mail it from your university e-mail account to your academic advisor for processing. Or, you may send the form to: for processing.
  6. Your advisor will complete the academic approval area, and e-mail the form to the Registrar’s office for processing the withdrawal. You must send your form to your advisor or the A&S advising e-mail no later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, May 4th. Please note: we cannot accept these forms from non-university e-mail accounts.
  7. Remember your advisor is here to help you after the withdrawal deadline! Schedule a meeting with your advisor to discuss your Fall semester schedule, academic plan, academic recovery strategies, and more.