Arts and Science Graduation and Commencement
Commencement for Arts & Science May 2013 graduates is scheduled for Saturday, May 18, at 4:30 p.m.; at the Hearnes Center.
For more information on other commencement ceremonies, visit the Registrar's Office commencement page
View a slideshow of the commencement ceremony for the May 2011 graduates of the College of Arts and Science
Participation in the commencement ceremony does not mean that you have completed all degree requirements to graduate from the College of Arts and Science.
BEFORE the day of the ceremony
- Complete any minor forms with the department adviser and file the minor with the appropriate division. Minors must be awarded at the same time as your degree.
- Complete any outstanding course repeat forms at the registrar's office, 125 Jesse Hall.
- Verify that your name is correct on myZou. Go to Self Service-->Names. If your name is not as you want it on your diploma, you must take an official picture ID with correct spelling to admissions, 230 Jesse Hall, by the end of graduation term.
- Caps and gowns can be purchased from the University Bookstore at any time. Arts and Science's tassels are white. The bookstore also has information concerning announcements.
- If you have a privacy hold on your record (no information to be released to anyone regarding you), you must remove it before your name can be printed in the commencement program. The registrar's office will contact students with the hold to explain in more detail during final semester.
- If you, the graduate, need special accommodations for the ceremony, e.g., wheelchair accessibility, please contact Melissa Pemberton at 573-882-3004. An interpreter for the hearing impaired is provided.
- If you have questions regarding special accommodations for guests, please contact the Hearnes Center at 573-882-6502.
- To receive A&S Latin honors, you must have completed at least your last 60 hours at MU with letter grades (no pass/fail) and have a cumulative UM GPA of the following:
3.7 – 3.79 Cum Laude
3.8 – 3.89 Magna Cum Laude
3.9 – 4.0 Summa Cum Laude
- Departmental honors requirements are determined by each department. Check with your adviser concerning questions.
- The honors ceremony is coordinated through the registrar's office. All honors ceremony information is sent to your MU e-mail account.
ON the day of the ceremony
- No tickets are required for guests.
- Graduates should assemble in the Hearnes Center Fieldhouse (East Entrance) no later than one hour before the ceremony. Majors are lined up alphabetically (anthropology, art, art history and archeology, etc.). Students within the major do not need to be alphabetical.
- Guests should proceed and be seated in the main seating area. Doors open approximately 1 ½ hours before the ceremony.
- Graduates should be wearing caps and gowns. Leave all personal items (coats, purses, etc.) with family or friends. The fieldhouse is not secure.
- The May ceremony will be 2 – 2 ½ hours long. The December ceremony will be 1 – 1 ½ hours long.
AFTER the day of the ceremony
- All tuition and fees must be paid before transcripts or a diploma will be released.
- Grades are posted the week after the semester ends. We will verify that all degree requirements are complete at that time. You should receive a letter at your permanent address verifying your degree status.
- May degrees should be posted on transcripts by the third week of June, August degrees by the end of August and December degrees by the third week of January.
- To request a transcript, please send $10.00 (per copy) to the transcript office, 125 Jesse Hall, 65211. Please indicate that you want your transcript sent after the degree is posted.
- Diplomas will be mailed to your permanent mailing address approximately 12-14 weeks after the college has verified satisfactory completion of all degree requirements. Use myZou to check and update your address.
Please contact Melissa Pemberton (573-882-3004) or Eric Carter (573-882-2523) if you have questions concerning graduation.